Saturday, July 30, 2016

"Crucible" installed at University of Indianapolis

Thursday, July 28, I installed my large stone sculpture "Crucible" at the University of Indianapolis.  All photos on this post are by Meg White.
 We arrived on the site at 1 p.m. to meet the crane.
 There were TV crews from the local stations. (no pressure... )
 Jim Viewegh, professor of art at U of Indy, was giving an interview nearby as I prepared the site.
 I drilled 3 holes and cleaned them out with a vacuum.
 Next, I rigged the sculpture for lifting it over to the site.
 Dave from R.H. Marlin was great - and when we're lucky enough to get a great operator, I sing their praises.   
 We did a 'dry run' to make sure of the orientation and that there were no problems with the 3 pins and their holes.  Then, I mixed epoxy and set the piece on short boards to get the slings out.  Last, I used choker hitches, first on one side and then the other, to get the boards out and lower it onto setting cushions.
 Relief !!!  It's set safely where it belongs.  The last thing to do was put a bead of caulk around the bottom.  I want to thank Jim Viewegh (on the right) and many others who helped me through this tough installation.
Here's the finished piece in its new home as part of their Fifth Third Bank Sculpture Walk.  The outdoor sculpture collection at the University of Indianapolis is far, far larger than any college or university collection in the state of Kentucky. 

No comments: