Sunday, November 25, 2012

"Sun Ray" stone trough

After I finished the "Wave Urn", I decided to make a stone trough. There are a lot of antique stone troughs in England, that were used to water horses. I wanted to make a contemporary functional sculpture based on that traditional form.
I used the crane truck to mave a 1,500 lb. stone block onto some wood cribbing.
After a couple days, I had a preform beginning to take shape. Most stone troughs are rectangles (which are compositionally boring). I used various diagonal compositions to add visual interest to the piece.
This is the final version. I used the shape of the stone block to its full potential by creating a diagonal 'sun ray' emerging from the grey stone. The concept of the piece is about the inevitable 'ray of Hope' that will come out of any grey day.
I also made some design features inside the trough. It has a stippled texture on the bottom, for visual interest, if it is not used as a planter. There is also a 'ray' that cuts diagonally across the sides of the trough.
This is how my stone angel looked when I finished with it a couple weeks ago.
While I was out doing errands earlier this week, I asked Meg to see what she could do to improve the piece and she worked her magic! She reworked the face, neck and body of the angel over two days. It's a vast improvement! I can't wait to see the final version.
My new roommate, Catrina, helps me with the laundry.
(Like, I didn't see that coming!)

Thursday, November 22, 2012

"Exodus" Moved

Monday, November 19 was the appointed day to move my functional sculpture "Exodus".
Mike Emerson, an employee of the sculpture's owner, is helping me to determine the exact position for setting the piece.
His co-worker, Ryan, gave the site a thorough cleaning.
I rigged the sculpture and prepared it to be lifted by a 23 ton crane.
It took every bit of boom that the crane had to reach the site.
Dereck Sheroan from JBB, Inc. of Hardinsburg flew the bench through the trees and over to the site
After setting the bench safely on some boards near the site, I mixed up and laid a bed of mortar (while Dereck and Mike watch).
Mike and I set the bench onto the fresh mortar bed.
It wasn't quite level on the first try, but we got it perfect on the second attempt.
...and here is the functional sculpture in its new home.

Monday, November 12, 2012

Fire on the Mountain

Fire on the Mountain gives off light that can be seen from far away. It must move on to new fuel...or the spark will die...
I'm not sure if I'm turning over a new leaf...but, here's a new functional sculpture that I made in the shape of a leaf with its stem curved in upon itself.
Here is how the Swan Vase turned out (see the older post below for the in-progress image). It was pinned to a base of Virginia Steatite.
...and this is the final picture of the Swan Urn.
An idea starts with a sketch...
...then, you find a suitable piece of stone (in this case, it weighs 650 lbs.)
After a few days of focused effort...the final result: "Wave Urn", Indiana Limestone, 22" high x 17" in diameter, 250 lbs.
...and...full cycle. I am ending this week's post with this image of a smile-like "sun dog" (refracted light through atmospherically suspended ice particles).. I think that it is great contrast to the first image: daylight from night, and fire to ice...