Monday, June 19, 2017

Buffalo Commission - Month 4

4 months have passed since the 22,000 lb. block of stone arrived at the studio.
 I've made some major changes from the preliminary model.
The most noticeable, are the deeply carved plants.
Kentucky Bourbon is at least 51% corn with the remainder being a blend of wheat, barley and rye.  I decided to add this educational aspect as the diagonal lines on the model were... boring.  They made the piece look heavy and static. 
 Here's the views as I walk around the piece...
 ...from the front...
 ... and further around... his left side...
 ...and around the back.
 ...coming around full circle

Then, ending with a wildlife picture -  a mother Raccoon showing her 2 babies my fountain on a hot afternoon.

Friday, June 16, 2017

Birthday Bench and Birthday Waterfalls

The theme for this week was "birthdays"....
 Monday, Meg used her crane truck to deliver my bench to a private residence in Louisville.
 It was a commission to celebrate a milestone birthday - which happened to be the day before mine.
 This is the back view of the bench.
 Thursday was my 56th birthday.  Meg and I went to Clifty Falls State Park near Madison, Indiana.  This is Big Clifty Falls - 1 of 4 big waterfalls in the park.
 This is Tunnel Falls.  If you can see the 2 people at the left edge of the pool (1 has a black shirt, the other carrying a child), it will help you to get a sense of the scale.
 I enjoyed stumbling through the long, dark railroad tunnel near Tunnel Falls.

Afterwards, we ate at The Red Pepperoni in Madison, IN where we found THE best pizza; artichoke sauce with onions, sun-dried tomatoes and mozzarella.  Unbelievable!
 Before heading home, we went north of town on 421 and stopped at a road cut to look for fossils.
These are the best from what I found in a short time: horn corals, a gastropod and a selection of brachiopods.  This is how I like to spend my birthdays!

Thursday, May 18, 2017

Buffalo Trace Commission - 3 month Anniversary

The original quarry block was delivered to the studio on February 15.
 This is what the sculpture looked like after 2 months...
 ... and how it looks like a month later, May 15, 2017.
 ...and walking around the piece...
 ... front view...
 ... and around...
 ... to the left side...
I am getting within an inch of the final form over the majority of the sculpture.  I'm doing a lot of looking and re-looking at this point.  I have to be cautious from here onward as, once it's carved off, you can't put it back on.

Sculptures... In and Out

This week, I've been busy tidying up 'old business'.
 Monday, Meg and I made the long trek up to Elk Creek Winery that is located south of Owenton, Kentucky.  We used her crane truck to retrieve a sculpture that had been on loan there for about 7 years.
 On the way back, I bought this BEAUTIFUL 4 lb. tray of smoked beef brisket from Bully Barbecue in Buckner, KY.  ( smells and tastes even better than it looks...)
 Wednesday, Meg used her crane truck to take my "Newborn Crescent" back to Bernheim Forest near Clermont, KY.  Bernheim supplied the skid loader and operator to help me unload and set the piece.
 I had added a base that had my signature intertwining forms; in this case, they represent rolling clouds.
 I'll go back and get better pictures when the sun isn't so glaring and the plants mature around it.
...and ending this post with the obligatory wildlife picture: Diversity.... country style.

Saturday, May 13, 2017

Kentuckiana Outdoor Sculptor's Guild 1st Annual Invitational at Hidden Hill Nursery

Last night, May 12, 2017 from 5 to 8 p.m. was the opening for the Kyana Guild's 1st sculpture show. 
 16 area artists placed 50 sculptures in the back lawn of Hidden Hill Nursery in Utica, Indiana.  The show runs through August 11.
In the foreground is a sculpture by Mike McCarthy.  He put the whole thing together; deciding who, what, when and where.
 All of the photos on this post are credit Meg White... here's a view through a piece by Bill Kolok...
 ... and this view of Caren Cunningham's sculpture through a sculpture by Matt Weir.
 This piece by Mary Dennis Kannapell was 1 of 3 sculptures that sold during the opening.
 This Chimp by Meg White is my personal favorite of the show.
 This grouping by David Caudill added some color to the show.  He just returned from Bolivia  (13,000 feet elevation!) where he was creating a giant maze based on a thumb print.
I also liked this birdbath by Al Nelson.  (That moth stayed there throughout the entire opening...)

Saturday, April 22, 2017

Buffalo Commission - Month Two

 This is the block as it looked on February 15, when it arrived at the studio.
 This is how it looked 1 month later...
 ...and here's how it looked on April 15 - exactly 2 months into the project.
 ...and walking around the piece...
 ...further around...
 ...the left side...
...and the back side.   It's coming along better than I expected.  I've posted videos on YouTube that show a weeks worth of work compressed into about 3 to 4 minutes in a time lapse. Here's the latest one:

Monday, March 6, 2017

Progress on the Buffalo Commission

It seems that spring is trying to come early...
 This was the last image that I posted - the block when it first came to the studio on Wednesday, February 15.
 This is that same view today.
 This is the block as seen from the other side when it came in...
 ... and this is how the left side looks today.
 On rainy days, I worked inside on a 1/2 scale clay model of the head.
 It's not finished, but I'm making great progress on finding improvements to make over the small 1/8 scale plaster model.
... and I'll finish today's post with a wildlife picture that I snapped while working on the clay head.  To the lower right of the marble column is a rare, white turkey.