Monday, September 1, 2008

Deception Pass Park

During my sculpture installation in Washington, I had some time off to explore the area. There was still daylight on Monday, after pouring the footer (see posting below), so I went to Deception Pass Park.


My first stop was the west beach area.

From there, I picked up a trail toward the bridge. The path is shaded by the big trees that are abundant in the park.

They get a lot of rain fall on Whidbey Island and the park is lush with ferns, moss and plant cover. It's like something out of a story book- too cool!

The path led through the woods and to the north beach, toward the Deception Pass bridge.

The path led up the hill to the base of the bridge.

I was in the mood to walk, so I crossed the bridge, snapped this picture and went back. The pass has steep stone sides with a strong fast current running through it.

Back across the bridge, I took a steep path up to the 'balds' at the top of Goose Knob. The views in all directions were breathtaking. This picture doesn't do it justice.

Nestled between rock outcroppings were huge patches of lichen.

On the way back down, I found this patch of mushrooms. This whole area was quite a change from the hardwood forests of Kentucky, that I'm used to.

No comments: