Sunday, September 21, 2008

A backhanded slap from Ike

On the afternoon of Sunday, September 14, Meg and I were up at the studio. The wind kept picking up, so we decided to head for home (about 4 miles away).
These winds were the remnants of Hurricane Ike.

We came upon a small tree across the road. I was content to watch, while Meg dragged it out of the way.
About half way to home, we came across a tree that was too big to move, so we went back to the studio for a chainsaw. (focus!)
Things had gotten worse, since we'd passed this way. Before it was over, there were trees across the wires in several places, with the wires on the ground or out in the road.
The wind had knocked over our port-o-lette at the studio. (thank goodness, that's not my job....)

The wind just kept getting worse. Our second attempt to get home had a lot more obstacles, and I had to clear a path for Meg to drive the car through.

It took a long time just to get back to our original obstacle. By that time, we were joined by 3 guys in a pick-up truck. They're looking around because there are limbs and leaves flying around and trees falling over in the 80 mph gusts.

I'm glad they showed up. We were able to make some pretty good progress.

Stuff is crashing all around us, and it's pretty hard to tell where it's safe to stand.

We were less than a mile from home when Gordon Mitchell joined us with a bigger (and sharper) saw. Surely, this is the last tree between us and home.

Did I say "last tree"?

More reinforcements - Paul Mitchell was cutting his way from his house to his brother Gordon's. In short order, we were joined by other neighbors, Steve McMillan, Bobby Ball and Larry Severs. There aren't many people who live in the Yellowbank area, and we watch out for each other - a country version of social security.

Hot Mail. We were without power from all the trees across the lines.

Why not make the most of it? Meg roasted hot dogs and we played 'candlelight chess'. The player with the black pieces had the unfair advantage of stealth.

Wednesday morning, I cleared the road back to the studio and found that we had power. When I came home, I saw this beautiful sight. Very, very happy - a shower, and then a bath, too! 3 days without power was long enough.

No comments: