Sunday, April 22, 2012

OPEN HOUSE in September

The biggest news for this week is that we have begun to spread the word about an Open House (actually, an open Studio) on the 2nd and 3rd weekends in September. We will post more specifics as plans firm up. We are also featuring the outdoor sculptures of other artists that we know. We will post a list of participating artists as we get committments. Please feel free to contact us, if you would like an invitation and directions to the studio. Also, any artists that have outdoor sculpture and would like to participate (it's free and we don't take a commission), please contact either Meg or myself. We encourage any artistic approach - traditional or contemporary. Artists handle their own sales and delivery. Meg will be demonstrating stone carving. It should be a great event.
I started a new sculpture, which is a variation on a theme of the Harmony Sculpture series. I don't have a title for the new piece, but it deals with the issue of balance between Civilization and Nature. This is the stone, after I cut the bottom flat and stood it upright.
In this photo, you can see the first forms emerging from the stone.
I have started to find more forms, as I work from the top downward.
I started forming the main portion of the sculpture by using an forked Italian pneumatic chisel.
This is the other side of the piece.

 I'm afraid that I don't have any extracurricular pictures to show this week - all work and no play. I hope to remedy that soon, as the weather is getting better - and it's Spring.

No comments: