Sunday, April 25, 2010

Promise

Besides making the trip to Roanoke, I've been working on a new functional (seating) sculpture called "Promise.

I designed this sculpture to fit into the half-circle shaped scrap that was cut from the Roanoke bench "Caring". (see posting below).

I removed large amounts of material with a 10" diamond blade. Then, I roughed in the shapes with a 4" diamond blade. First one side, then the other.

This was the progress on side A, before my trip to Virginia.

This was the progress on the other side at the end of last week.

This is how that side looks at the end of this week.

...and the other side...

Up at the studio, the locusts are blossoming, and everything is greening up.

Meg moves snakes out of the road, so that they won't get run over. But, this Racer had a serious attitude problem.

No good deed goes unpunished.

I had success making homemade Sassafras soda. I bought powdered sassafras root bark, sugar and live yeast from the local Mennonite store (Kountry Korner 270-547-2021). I brought the sassafras powder and sugar up to a boil, and then let it cool to room temperature. 1 tablespoon of sassafras and 1 cup sugar per 2 liter bottle. I added 1/8 teaspoon live yeast per 2 liter bottle, started in warm water (baby bottle temperature) for 5 minutes. I bottled it into 2 liter bottles for 7 days at room temperature (no direct sunlight) and 1 day in the frigerator. The yeast creates natural carbonation (Don't serve over ice). IT'S GREAT!!!

No comments: