Saturday, August 22, 2009

River Font


I was invited to submit a "..major piece that best represents my work" to the Holidaze show at the Owensboro Museum of Fine Art. To that effect, I am making the largest and most involved vessel form of my 25 year career. This sculpture is entitled "River Font" and the top piece is carved from a block of Indiana Limestone 54" long by 35" wide by 8" thick.

The first step was to cut the outline of the sculpture with the 10" diamond blade.

Then, I started forming the individual 'river current eddies' with the 4" diamond blade.

This was the progress by the end of the week. There will be a 1" hole in the center of the vessel to drain it for winter and cleaning. I envision this as just a vessel, but it could also work as a fountain centerpiece.

We went splashing down Flint Run earlier this week. Can you see me in this picture?

This afternoon, we went up into the Wildlife Area looking for the elusive Purple Fringed Orchid. (Elusive is the key word here).

No comments: