Saturday, August 23, 2008

moving sculpture

In the tradition of 'Restless Rocks', Tuesday was a very long day that involved moving many of our monumental sculptures.

The day began early at Yew Dell Gardens, where we removed the sculptures from their outdoor sculpture show. Karla Drover helps me to get a dolly under the base of Meg's male dancer. I was very happy that they kept my huge stone hand on the grounds for a while longer.
Derek of JBB, Inc. was the crane operator for this day's effort. He is adjusting the rigging on the Wave Vessel which was sold during the show. It was delivered to a residence less than 10 miles from the gardens.
Frankie Vessels helped me load "Moments" for its return to our studio.
It was a real treat when we installed my sculpture "Inspiration" at its new home in Floyd Knobs. The residence has an incredible panoramic view of the Ohio valley around Louisville. You can see the buildings of downtown in the background.
While Meg, Derek and I were installing "Inspiration", Frankie Vessels had taken his semi and flat bed trailer to Cardinal Kitchens to load up 2 huge blocks of marble. We met him at the studio where we unloaded them. This is a cubic meter of white Italian marble - the best that we've ever had. This one belongs to Meg, and I'm excited to see what she does with it.
The second cubic meter of marble belongs to me, and it is a cream, light orange version of Spanish Pink Marble.

While we had the crane, we decided to move in some of the old sculptures to finish them. Frankie was nice enough to stick around and help. The first piece that we moved was Meg's "Sea Lion".

We also moved Meg's "Wolf & Pups" from the sculpture garden to the front of the studio, so that she could finish it.

Every time that we moved the crane, the outriggers had to be set back out and heavy wood pads set under them. It's also exhausting climbing up and jumping down off the big trucks. You have to be careful that you don't make a mistake while moving the heavy stone sculptures, because you're tired. Gravity never lets up, and it won't forgive carelessness.

"Oberon" was placed on the rail cart. That was the end of a long day.

1 comment:

Ben Gage said...

Nice blog, love the story, stone look great, I love seeing big art being handled and installed. Here's something: