Sunday, April 20, 2008

Shake, Rattle and Roll !!!

This week we experienced a 5.2 magnitude earthquake with an epicenter about 100 miles to our west. Meg was lying awake about 5:30 A.M. Friday morning and heard it coming from far off. Our underground house acted like a sound chamber and amplified the noise. It shook the house for about 30 seconds, long enough for Meg to leave the house. I was too lazy to leave the comfort of bed (shaken, but not stirred).
I had a small window of time between the Green Bay commission and the commission that will go to Oak Harbor, Washington. So, I began a project that will fit into this slab of Indiana Limestone.
This sculpture is entitled "Moments". I have described its concept and inspiration in last week's post, so I won't repeat myself. I have drilled off the extra piece on the end. The design has been cut into the top surface and the outline is nearly complete.
The sculpture was moved into the studio after removing the bulk of the waste. I have begun to shape the major forms and have opened an interior negative space.
By the end of the week, the design is emerging.
Last week, when I went out to get some extracurricular pictures for the blog, I came home with a stray kitten. I thought that it might be safer to stay home, this week, and post something from the archive. Here's a picture of a rock climber, about to camp out for the night half way up a shear granite cliff in Yosemite Park, California. Can you see the climber in the center of the picture?
There he is! I'm guessing that the black-and-white thing is to help people keep track of his position. Photo by Meg White. She took this picture when she was in California a couple of years ago to give a sculpture proposal for the City of Oakland. We spent some time in Sequoia park, as well.

No comments: