Tuesday, September 1, 2026

"Water" Functional Sculptures Finished

The last phase of this project was carving in the bubbles and flow lines on the sides.  This took 4 passes -I'd finish, step back and realize that it all has to go deeper.  To make a stone sculpture have visual appeal, it relies on deep dark shadows to contrast and define the forms.  That means... do it again... and again....

This was my "weapon of choice": a Makita 5" grinder with a flush-mounted diamond blade.

I also use a Makita Die Grinder to shape all the fussy details.

When the form is finally right, I switch to a Makita 5" sander for most of the finish work.  I go over everything in 3 passes: a course 36 grit, a medium 80 grit and a fine 120 grit.  I also use a variety of air sanders for the hard to reach areas - particularly a 2" right-angle roloc and tapered cartridge rolls on a spindle.

...and here are the final results - the front of the right hand piece...

...and the back.

The front of the left hand piece...

...and the back.  The next step is approval, delivery and installation.
Here is a walk-around video of the 3 pieces:

https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=fgXmPrMJYas
 

No comments: