Sunday, March 4, 2012

Sprout Bench, and Heavy Weather


This is a scale model in plasticene clay for a functional sculpture that I am currently making.

When I blocked out the previous bench commission, I had some large pieces of scrap that I intended to carve into other sculptures. This piece came out of the center of the first bench preform.

I moved the piece into the shop with the crane truck. Then, I cut the bottom flat, checking my progress with a level.

Next, I flipped the piece upright and began to rough in the shapes with an air hammer and large grinder.

I continued to refine the forms with a large grinder and a smaller 4" grinder.

I managed to get one of the holes clear through the piece. Not bad for a week's worth of work.

Friday, they were calling for 2-1/2" hail. We padded some of the finished sculptures and I moved the finished bench back inside.

We only got pea sized hail. You can see some of it in the lower portion of this picture. Two funnel clouds formed just to the north of us. They developed into an F3 and F4 tornadoes that wiped out Maryville, Indiana and killed at least 13 people.

No comments: