Sunday, November 27, 2011

Marble Dove

This week, I carved a marble dove for the Tree of Life commission.

About 10 days ago, the block of pure white Colorado Yule Marble arrived at Cave Hill Cemetery. I was quite impressed with the quality of the stone - it was flawless. Also, they took great care in the crate and packing for the stone block.

The first task was to carve the outline of the dove, using the clay model as the pattern.

Then, I marked the forms of the sculpture onto the preform with a wax china marker.

I blocked in the forms onto both sides of the marble piece.

For all intents and purposes, the marble dove is finished. I will refine the head and other forms as I spend more time with the piece.

I have completed all of the clay work for the Tree. I put the 23 leaf clusters up on pedestals of wood, to make it easier to put a 2 part mold onto them.

Introducing Part A and Part B...the mold material has arrived (you're looking at $560.00 worth of rubber!). I am ready to begin putting the molds onto the Tree of Life.

No comments: