Thursday, June 3, 2021

"Darkest Before the Dawn" monumental-scale functional sculpture

Most of my effort this spring has been on a large outdoor project.
It started last summer when I bought this big block for my birthday.
Here it is being unloaded at the studio.  It measured 8' x 2-1/2' x 2' and weighed approx. 6,000 lbs.
I started carving the piece last fall before it got too cold.  I laid out the design and began to cut the outline.
I ground and drilled the bottom while it was on its side.
Mid-March, we had a crane turn it upright..  I preformed all the major forms first.  Here, I've drawn the dark cloud currents with a timber crayon.  
It took a LOT more work to actually carve those cloud currents than I had originally estimated.  Next, I made refinements in the top bird wing form and began designing the "fog" underneath. 
I finished this piece on the last day of May.  It represents the bright Sun breaking through the dark clouds.  The bird wing shaped top symbolizes the Human Spirit lifting above the fog and confusion.
This is the view of the back side.  I hope that I can move this piece away from the crowded stone yard next week while I have a crane here.  This is a good piece and deserves better images of the finished work
 

No comments: