Sunday, August 16, 2026

Progress on "Water" Benches for Schaumburg Sculpture Park



When I last posted, I showed the sides being cut on this piece.  Here, it shows that I've started forming the ends of the top curve.

I'm using a 10" diamond blade on a grinder to make all these cuts.

It's taking shape...

Meanwhile, the other piece gets a couple inches shaved off the sides with the 10" saw.  I'm able to get these flat surfaces because the diamond blades all have flush-mounted hubs.

The curve is drawn onto the preform...

...and the rough removal begins.

It was so labor-intensive to get the top curves right.  I thought that it would speed up the process if I made this custom tool.  The holes were drilled to match the lines on the existing piece and made in the exact diameter for the china marker.

The steel washer on the top glides in the saw cut so that I get precise lines.

This is the current status (more or less).  I've spent some time with it this weekend making sure where I want the bubbles.

I've made some minor changes as I've lived with it and looked at it freshly for a couple days.  Once I cut into it, I'm committed.  So, I want to be sure...

When I made the tool with the 6 holes, it really came home to me about how I had subconsciously used 6 rows of lines like in my guitar tablature book. I've spent years learning songs from YouTube with tablature for finger-style guitar - must have gotten into my head.  So, I transcribed the bubble patterns that I had settled on.

Then, I filled in values for the fret numbers.  So, these are the "tabs" for the songs that are in the 6 sides of the sculpture.  It's rather.. meandering... kind of like water...  I tried to record it and hoped to upload it as a video.  But, my efforts where substandard (and I don't have time to focus on this now).  Maybe someone who is a better musician than me would like to take a try and see if their version is any better.  They could fill in the numbers differently or even have alternate tuning - the possibilities are endless.  A loop effect or multi-tracking recording is needed, a microphone would be nice, too - things that I don't have....(yet)
This was an unexpected direction, but you can bet, I'm going to pursue this in future projects.



 

No comments: