Sunday, August 25, 2024

8 Large Sculptures Installed at U of L Alumni Center

I was given the opportunity to exhibit 8 pieces for 1 year outside the University Club of Louisville.  Tuesday, August 20, Meg and I took 2 pieces up on her crane truck with my van as support.  Thursday, August 22, Dereck Sheroan of JBB inc. (Hardinsburg) brought the 23 ton crane over to the studio to get 4 large pieces.  The day in between, we'd loaded 2 pieces onto Meg's crane truck.
While I had the crane at my studio, I put together "For Tomorrow" onto a base that I'd made for it.  (Easier said than done...)
Then, we moved it over by the Cyprus trees.
We stood upright a large sculpture preform.
You can barely see the top of my head behind the piece.  Things are much bigger when they aren't lying down.
We moved "One Way or Another".
We were making room for where we plan to unload 82,000 lbs. of stone this coming Tuesday.
The 2 fully loaded trucks made the trip to U of L.
I picked 4 pieces to make an installation based on the Greek philosophy of 4 elements.  The first piece to get installed was "Fire".
Then, Earth...
It was installed on a tall stone pedestal.
We flew in the base for "Wind" next...
... and added the top piece.
"Water" was the last piece installed on the side patio.
We moved the crane to the front of the building where I installed 2 gateway pieces titled "Get It Together". I just finished these 2 pieces barely in time for this opportunity.
In the courtyard spaces on either side of the front door, are the 2 pieces that Meg and I installed a couple days before.  The light was very harsh, so I will need to go back on an overcast day to get better final images of everything.  I'm happy with all 8 pieces as they work together and also fit the site. It's fairly impressive in person - go check it out, if you get the chance.
 

No comments: