Monday, October 16, 2023

"Brevity" Functional Sculpture

My morning routine, I go out into the stoneyard for "Cat and Coffee" time.  I stare at stones, trying to envision new sculpture projects, while the cat jumps from one to the other.
I'll usually do sketches and then a small clay model from what I saw in my head.

I now have an extra 35,000 lbs. of carving stones that we hauled from my old studio this summer.  

I came up with an idea for this 1,200 lb. block.

You can see the preliminary forms emerging...

Here's the other side.

Meg flipped it upright with her crane truck after I'd finished the bottom.

Here are 4 views of the finished piece.

It is Indiana Limestone and measures 43"W x 24"H x 19"D and weighs approx. 800 lbs.



...and ending this post on a totally different note, Meg cooked an apple pie from the first harvest off my trees.

 

No comments: