Monday, October 31, 2022

Now Breaking Free From Chains

Happy Halloween!
This has been an INCREDIBLE fall (as far as the weather is concerned...)  Lots of great days to get work done outside - so I used the opportunity to give a final make-over on a monumental sculpture titled "Now".
The project started over 11-1/2 years ago!  On May 5, 2011, I bought this 43,000 lb. quarry block from Victor Oolitic near Bloominton, IN

Before leaving the quarry, they cut about 6,000 lb. off with this band saw to get rid of a bad layer - and  to help make the load lighter.

I worked on many, many drawings and models and finally settled on this design. A plaster cast was submitted to LexArts of Lexington, KY when  I was a finalist for a public art project in 2014.  I didn't get the project...

...but I began it on my own about a year later.  Meg had a 75 ton crane show up to unload and stand upright a 45,000 lb. stone for her  Univ. of Anchorage project.  I took the opportunity to stand the block upright after cutting the bottom flat.

Work began in earnest in the early spring of 2015.

This is what the front looked like by the end of 2016.

Here's a couple of back views.

Front view 2017

Back view 2017

Front View 2020

Back view 2020

Here is the final rendition, October 2022.

,,,and walking around the piece.

...and around.

That's the longest that I've EVER worked on a single project.  I'm happy to be finally finished and will be even happier when I move it to a final site (wherever that may be...).

 

No comments: