Wednesday, August 15, 2018

Circle Seed progress and other updates

I'm trying to bring this blog back up to date...
 Earlier this year, I wasted a lot of time creating a proposal for a functional sculpture for an opportunity in S.W. Colorado.  I was a finalist in this nationally open call for public art - but I didn't get it. I need to keep applying to these types of opportunities on a regular basis.
I forgot to show these 3 vessel forms that I made earlier this year - here they are: I made (and sold) this vessel in IN Limestone called "Fly Forever", 20" x 16" x 4" !!!SOLD!!!
 I made (and sold) this vessel in IN Limestone called "Lobed Vessel", 17" x 9" x 7" !!!SOLD!!!
 … and I made ( and sold)  this vessel called "Whirlpool Vessel", 17" in diameter and 4" thick.

I also sold 4 other limestone vessels that I made earlier this year, but there pictures are posted in an archived post..  Additionally, I will make a future post to cover the installation of the major sculpture "Hope" which sold last month.  I also signed a contract for 2 year leases on 2 major pieces for Urbana, IL.  That pretty much covers old news.
 In the last post, I showed this 4,000 lb. block of IN Limestone and the various drawings and models for the design.
 Work began with the 10" diamond blade on the Bosch grinder.  The grinder let me down.  I've had trouble with armatures in the newer grinders - made in China, perhaps?
 This image was taken early on a foggy morning.  I switched to using an air hammer to get some of the rough removal done.  I'm looking forward to the new grinder coming in for the next project.  The air hammer is hard on the stone and me.
 Here, you can see that I've chiseled through the center.
 Then, I cleaned up the pre-form with a 4-1/2" grinder with a diamond blade.
 I switched back to the air hammer to create the detail forms.
 …. and, in this view, you can see the final shaping beginning to take place.  It's not far to the finish line.  (edit: that last sentence was a load of... malarkey.  A whole month later - still lots to do...)
 And now for the complimentary wildlife pictures: Skidoo brought her new fawn up to the studio.  This is her 3rd success - Skidoo was raised beside the studio; dropped there 5 years ago by her mother who was going blind and left her orphaned shortly after being weaned..
Another doe showed off her new twins.  This is rare as we have a lot of predation on the local herd; Coyotes, Bobcats and the like.  We've heard about local sightings of Cougar and Black Bear, too - not good news for these guys...

No comments: