Wednesday, May 30, 2018

River Fiddle Bench

I've found myself doing a lot of other "stuff" besides working in the studio... yet... I've got something to show for my time...
 Mid-April, I created a bunch of new designs.  My favorite was adapted to fit a 10,000 lb. stone that was already sitting on the rail cart.
 Originally, I thought that I was going to make a dragon bench.  But, the model looked too much like something that you'd see in China.  Once I saw how perfect the new design fit the stone, it was "full speed ahead!"
 I started cutting the outline around the fiddle head where it came close to the edge of the block.  Then I cut a deep notch to release the big piece of scrap on the top.
 I drilled holes from both sides and put in feathers and wedges.  Here's a short video showing me popping that piece free:
https://youtu.be/guue5HyC2Cw
 That scrap piece weighed over a ton.  Here's a short video where I used a pry bar to flip it off the sculpture:
https://youtu.be/iPzLdEhv8QU
 Then, I used the hydraulic chainsaw to cut off the bottom corners.  They'll become small sculptures next winter.
 I moved the piece into the shade of the studio with a fan on me.  Last year, I worked on the Buffalo completely outside; the heat didn't bother me at all - not the same this year, for some reason...
 I wheeled the sculpture outside, power washed it and took some pictures....
.
How to serve Raccoon...
St. Francis style...

No comments: